Last Updated on
Before we talk about the attestation procedure in Dubai for BVI-issued documents for the United Arab Emirates, there are two things to understand first:-
What is the process of attestation? Attestation is the process that ultimately declares whether the documents you submitted at the time of visa application are genuine or not. In other words, when you apply for any kind of visa, it is necessary to have a set of government departments to verify the authenticity of the documents and certificates submitted. Without your documents being attested, your visa process cannot move forward and could also lead to it being declined.
What are the British Virgin Islands or BVI? The British Virgin Islands, also known as the Virgin Islands, is a collection of small islands in the Caribbean and is part of the British Overseas Territory. When a BVI-registered company or firm wishes to engage in commercial activities in the United Arab Emirates, there a process of document attestation that needs to be followed, especially for certificates and documents that will be used in Dubai later on.
Some Reasons for which the Attestation Process Must be Followed
As mentioned above, if there is a BVI-parented company that intends to indulge in any kind of commercial activity in Dubai, there are certain procedures to be followed, including that of document attestation. Here are some reasons as to why a BVI- parented firm might require to have its documents attested:-
- If the BVI-parented company has intentions of opening up a new bank account in Dubai.
- If the BVI-parented firm has plans to engage in any sort of trade with Dubai, i.e., it wishes to either sell or purchase any kind of goods from the country.
- If the BVI-parented company is looking to sell its shares or wishes to buy shares.
- If the BVI-parented company intends to transfer the Power of Attorney to another person who would then act and make decisions on behalf of the directors.
- If the BVI-parented company seeks to transfer the ownership of any kind of asset.
What are the Documents That Need to be Attested?
A BVI-parented firm looking to expand business in Dubai or engaging in any kind of economic activity within Dubai must get the following documents attested:-
- Incumbency Certificate: It is basically a document which states who are the shareholders, directors, officers, etc. of the company and is issued by the corporation. In other words, this document states which individuals are in the various positions of authority and are thus allowed to conduct any business or indulge in legal transactions with regards to and on behalf of the company.
- Power of Attorney: The POA is a legal document that transfers the right to making key financial or economic decisions. In simpler words, it is a document that legally entrusts another person with the responsibility of making some crucial decisions on behalf of the person who issues the document.
- Certificate of Origin: It is a document that declares the country of origin of a particular commodity or item. It states where the said product was manufactured and is primarily used to determine whether certain goods are eligible for trade (export or import).
- Company Invoices: These are commercial documents that systematically record purchases and transactions between the buyer and seller. They state all the terms of the payment, any discounts that may have been offered, total units purchased and other such details. Incase some product was bought on credit, then a company invoice also states the various terms of the trade. An invoice can include sales invoices, bills of sale, debit note etc.
- Memorandum of Association: It is a legal document stating all the conditions on which the company or organization functions and carries out its commercial activities. It is a very important document since it determines the relationship between the company and the outside. It must be filed with the Registrar of Companies at the time of the company’s incorporation.
- Certificate of Incorporation: It is a very vital legal document declaring that the company is now legally allowed to conduct its functions. It states the terms on which the company was formed, along with its registration. A Certificate of Incorporation would essentially have the name of the company, the date on which it was founded, when it was registered, the type of company it is etc.
There are other important documents that must be attested, such as Good Standing Certificate, Articles of Association, Board Resolution etc. If the BVI-parented company wishes to begin conducting its commercial activities in the Dubai at the earliest, it is necessary to present all the required documents and certificates for attestation and to follow the right procedures.
Process of Attestation for BVI-Issued Documents
As is the case with any kind of attestation, all BVI-issued documents must be attested in a particular order, which is as follows:
- Notary Attestation: All the required documents must be attested by the Notary department within the British Virgin Islands itself. It doesn’t matter in which part of it as long as the certificates are verified and stamped since this is the first stage.
- BVI Apostille: An Apostille is essentially a certificate attached to the original document and states that is it authentic. Once the Notary stamps the documents, they must be verified and stamped with an Apostille in the Virgin Islands before moving forward.
- UK Apostille: Once the documents have been verified in the Virgin Islands and carry the Apostille, it is in theUnited Kingdom next that the documents need to be stamped with the Apostille. Only when the documents carry the BVI Apostille will they be stamped with a UK Apostille.
- UAE Embassy Attestation in the UK: After having the documents verified and stamped with both Apostilles, it is the UAE Embassy in the UK which will attest the documents and stamp them.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs Attestation in Dubai: The last step is to get all the required documents attested by the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dubai. Once that is done, the BVI-parented company is quite close to commencing their commercial activities in Dubai.
By following the steps mentioned above, you can get your documents attested in a seamless manner and ensure that you can conduct your business in Dubai efficiently.